Olympics in Full Swing

By Terri

The Olympics are in full swing after last nights opening ceremony. Today's fencing competitions are dashing into peoples homes on MSNBC. I find fencing entertaining. I would like to become a fencer.

The Opening Ceremonies paid homage to those who help others. Dancers paid tribute to doctors and nurses with a giant show. The dancers wore doctor and nurse costumes. Kids went to prop beds. Their white sheets glowed.

Giant lit and film characters came to life in the childrens' "dreams." J.K. Rowling looked lovely in a blazer with sharp padded shoulders. The author of Harry Potter read a short excerpt from her book.

Next, the dancers morphed into other eras. The choreographed dancers melted into a peace sign, star, smiley face, and so forth.

Mr. Bean did his act while the Orchestra played. The celeb made the songs more entertaining. He lost his place playing the keyboard because he was "daydreaming." Mr. Bean continued playing one key after the song was long done.

International soccer superstar, David Beckam drove the boat with the Olympic Torch as cargo. I think the young woman carrying the torch may have been carrying a flame for Beckham. Her huge grin was noteworthy.

My favorite part was the parade of Olympic Teams from all over the world. Yeah World! I wish they had an on screen graphic map with imaginary flag pins to show the countries locations. I pulled out an older atlas to look for myself. The world geography lesson was short lived because I couldn't find a world map inside.

Bob Costas announced someone played the mock national anthem from Borat at a Kazakhstan event. Oh my gosh!

The United States Olympic team marched by the cameras. What's up with team U.S.A.'s outfits?
MSNBC announced they were made in China and designed by Ralph Lauren. They looked military in style, which I don't think is appropriate for our Olympians. The design was buttoned blazers, matching slacks, and berets? Were they double breasted? They were ugly. I read in a fashion magazine Stella McCartney designed for the Brits and Giorgio Armani for the Italians. I'm sure the English and Italians looked smashing. The U.S.A. needs to represent.

The Olympics paid tribute to Olympic volunteers. Selected women wore dresses which had Olympic volunteer's faces on them. These were the same women who showed off the teams' country with a sign. I liked how the Olympics paid tribute to people who help others.

I'm excited to see some friendly competition. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog